Prevent and Manage Waste
We produce waste-free products in waste-free facilities to help our customers reduce waste. Our aim is to design products, packaging and supplies that make efficient use of resources, minimize waste, reuse material where feasible and recycle what can't be reused. All Xerox products contain between 0%-5% post-consumer recycled plastic content.
Xerox Supplies Recycling Program
- The Xerox Green World Alliance collection and reuse / recycling program in partnership with our customers, results in millions of cartridges and toner containers returned for reuse or recycling each year.
- Prepaid postage labels and packaging from new supplies make it easy to return spent items for recycling, where over 90% of the material is either reused or recycled.
Xerox Product Takeback and Recycling Program
- Xerox pioneered the practice of remanufacturing, reusing and recycling of office equipment. Our machines are designed for easy disassembly and durability, contain fewer parts, and are controlled for chemical content.
- Xerox carefully manages suppliers who provide recycling and waste disposal services. An audit process ensures that vendor practices are safe, environmentally sound, and compliant with regulations.
- Since 1991, Xerox remanufacturing and recycling (PDF, 106 KB) has prevented over 2 billion pounds of potential waste from entering landfills.
- Additionally, in 2017 and 2018, Xerox collected and responsibly recycled a broad scope of products through voluntary programs totaling 1115 and 1368 metric tons respectively (0 tons through mandated programs).
- Xerox can arrange for the removal of the machine for reuse or recycle. Xerox will cover the recycling and any disposal costs but you pay the removal fee. This removal fee is based on equipment size and is exclusive of any service contract charges that may be levied when the equipment is returned. Please email your (English) request to CustomerInquiry@xerox.com; French request to email@example.com; or call 1-800-ASK-XEROX (select language & prompts 4, 3). Xerox will then contact you with the removal fee prior to initiating and scheduling the equipment for removal
- Product End of Life (EOL) Characterization Reports (PDF, 156 KB)
- Xerox Consumables Recycling Report (PDF, 14 KB)
- Whenever possible, we encourage you to recycle packaging locally as it reduces greenhouse gas emissions associated with transportation. However, if unable to recycle locally, we offer a packaging take-back and recycling service to our customers for Xerox-branded products, where customers pay for the return shipping and Xerox pays for the recycling. If interested in this service, please send your packaging to: Xerox Corporation, ESSO – Scrap, 6500 State Route 63, Middletown, OH 45044 , ATTN: EPEAT Packaging Returns.
- Since the early 1990s, Xerox has maintained an internal initiative known as the Waste-Free Factory.
- This initiative drives the global implementation of an ISO 14001-compliant environmental management system, and helps achieve a 93% recycling rate for non-hazardous materials. Learn more about how we manage environmental performance.
- Xerox participates in the U.S. EPA National Environmental Performance Track program, a partnership that recognises top environmental performance among participating U.S. facilities. EPA annual performance reports for Xerox
- Xerox was named a Performance Track Corporate Leader in 2008. Xerox is the first technology company and 5th company overall to be named a Corporate Leader.